Cohors Tertiae Bracaraugustanorum
The Third [Infantry] Cohort from Bracara Augusta
This regiment was recruited from among the peregrine citizens of the Gallaeci tribe from Bracara Augusta in Lusitania; now known as Braga in Northern Portugal. They are recorded in Britain on several military diplomata, and stamped tiles recovered from Manchester and Castleshaw provide evidence for two of their garrison forts.
Evidence for the Cohort in Britain
- Burn 95; CIL XVI.48; military diploma, dated: January 19th 103AD.
- Burn 100; CIL XVI.65; military diploma, dated: July 17th 122AD.
- CIL VII.1195; privilegia militvm, dated: September 16th 124AD.
- L'Année Épigraphique 1997.1779b; diploma dated c.126AD.
- L'Année Épigraphique 1997.1001; diploma dated 27th February 158AD.
- Manchester; stamped tile (Burn 30a).
- Castleshaw; stamped tile (Burn 30b).