The Mouth of the River Ffraw
used as a safe harbour during Roman Times
(Photograph taken in May 2005)
A 'bun-ingot' or cake of copper was found at Aberffraw on the south-west coast of Anglesey in 1640. Stamped SOCIO ROMAE-NATSOL, this copper probably had been mined originally at Parys Mountain, smelted in one of the small mining villages nearby, then transported to Aberffraw in preparation for its eventual export to mainland Britain or Ireland. The copper from Anglesey had been instrumental in the development of the British Bronze-Age, and had very likely financed the continued resistance of the Druids against the encroaches of Rome.
During excavations in 1973 and 1979 the three-phase defences of an enclosure were discovered beneath the modern village:
The ditches of the first two phases are typically Roman, while the latest ditch probably belongs to the early-Medieval period. Roman finds consisted of two sherds of coarse grey-ware and a single piece of samian pottery; occupation during the Medieval period is evidenced by fragments of carved detail which may be assigned to the 13th century, when a court complex for which there is documentary evidence occupied the site. The site was levelled in the 18th C.
It is possible that the fort is mentioned by Tacitus in a passage describing the aftermath of the attack on Anglesey by the general Suetonius Paulinus in A.D.60/61.
"... The next step was to install a garrison among the conquered population, and to demolish the groves consecrated to their savage cults: ..." (Tacitus Annales XIV.xxx)