NGRef: NX903884
OSMap: LR78
Type: Fortlet

Roads
NNW (8) to Drvmlanrig (Dumfriesshire)
SE (3) to Dalswinton (Dumfries & Galloway)

The Barburgh Mill Roman Fortlet

Barburgh Mill - VRML Model
Barburgh Mill viewed from the east
VRML Model Prepared in the RBO Scriptorium
N.G.Ref Dimensions Area
NX9088 97 x 93½ ft
(c.29.5 x 28.5 m)
c.1,000 square yards
(c.840 metre²)

Located just to the east of Barburgh Mill between the A76 and the (now dismantled) railway line, this almost square fortlet measured 97 x 93½ feet (c.29.5 x 28.5m) and covered an area of just over 1,000 square yards or about 33¼ roods (c.840m²). Excavations within the defences have uncovered two barrack-blocks, one measuring about 80 x 24½ feet (c.24.5 x 7.4) with a centurions block 30 feet (9.2m) square, the other barrack being approximately 75 x 24½ feet (c.23 x 7.4m). The ditch is V-shaped, about 12 ft. wide and between 4½-6 ft. deep (3.7 x 1.4-1.8 m), the rampart was set on a base of cobbles about 20 ft. (6m) wide. There is a single gateway, about 17 ft. (5.2m) wide, set in the middle of the defences on the NE side.

This fortlet is similar in form and size to those at Milton and Durisdeer.

See: Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.59;
The Roman Occupation of South-Western Scotland by the Glasgow Archaeological Society (1952 p.123);
Britannia iii (1972) p.304 & fig.3 p.305;
Britannia v (1974 p.152 table.V), for a comparative study of Roman fortlets in Scotland;
Roman Forts in Britain by David J. Breeze (Shire 1994 figs.33/34 p.44), for the basis of the VRML model.
Link to maps of the area from: StreetMap Old-Maps MultiMap