NGRef: NT0802
OSMap: LR78
Type: Camp

Roads
None identified

The three camps at Beattock lie about ¾ mile north of the fort at Milton and the nearby camps at Tassiesholm. There is a small fortlet at Barnhill, which partly overlies the northern defences of Beattock Camp B (see below).

Beattock Camp A
N.G.REF DIMENSIONS AREA
NT084020 c.1,840 x c.1,700 ft
(c.560 x c.520 m)
c.71¾ acres
(c.29 ha)
This large camp lies on the opposite (south) bank of the Evan water from Camps B & C, to the west of the Roman road and unaligned with it. The camp is known only from its western angle and attached lengths of the adjacent sides, about 1,280 ft. (c.390 m) of the north-west and about 1,440 ft. (c.440 m) of the south-west, with Stracathro-type gateways in both of these sides. The gateway defences and the fact that the camp is not aligned to the Roman road would place its foundation during the Flavian period. It is assumed that the camp was aligned on the crossing of the Evan Water just to the north-east, and if so, the gateways in both the north-east and south west-sides were probably centrally placed, which gives a likely NW-SE dimension of around 1,840 ft. (560 m); the river constrains the NE-SW dimension to around 1,700 (520 m), which would have given the camp a squat, squarish outline, with the gateways in the NW and SE sides being very markedly off-set towards the north-east.
Beattock Camp B
N.G.REF DIMENSIONS AREA
NT084027 1,180 x c.1,050 ft
(360 x c.320 m)
c.28½ acres
(c.11.5 ha)
This camp lies to the west of the Roman road opposite Camp C, on the northern bank of the Evan Water across from Camp A. Only its eastern side is completely known, 1,180 ft. (360 m) in length, which has a marked change of alignment at a gateway with titulum, positioned noticeably towards the south. The Roman road passes just outside these defences, separating the titulum outwork from the rampart, which suggests that the camp and the road were contemporary, with the camp being built slightly earlier. The north and the south sides are both traceable from a few short stretches of ditch visible as crop-marks, but the west side has been destroyed by riverine erosion. The south-west angle is perhaps indicated by a slight in-turning of the southern defencive ditch, which would give an east-west dimension of about 1,050 ft. (c.320 m). The Barnhill fortlet partly overlies the north-eastern angle of the camp.
Beattock Camp C
N.G.REF DIMENSIONS AREA
NT0802 1,410 x c.1,115 ft
(430 x c.340 m)
c.36 acres
(c.14.6 ha)
This camp lies on the north bank of the Evan Water beside Camp B, with the Roman road passing between the two. The southern side of this camp has not been traced, but if the titulum-defended gateways in the east and west defences were placed centrally in their sides, the north-south measurement would have approached 1,115 ft. (340 m). There is another gateway with titulum outwork in the visible portion of the northern defences, spaced at a ratio of 1:3, but the eastern half of the north defences, together with a possible second gateway and the north-east angle have been destroyed by the minor road from Beattock to Dumcrieff. There is evidence of at least three periods of occupation; a second camp measuring about 1,115 ft. north-south by 375 ft. transversely (c.340 x 115 m) and enclosing an area of about 9½ acres (c.3.8 ha), was created by greatly contracting the eastern defences of the original large camp, utilising the original western gateway facing the road; this elongated camp later had its southern defences contracted to form an almost square enclosure measuring about 395 ft. north-south by 375 ft. (120 x 115 m), enclosing an area of about 3¼ acres (c.1.3 ha). In this final phase, a gateway was cut through the original western rampart allowing access from the road.
See: Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.58;
The Roman Occupation of South-Western Scotland by the Glasgow Archaeological Society (1952) p.111;
Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1955-7 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlviii (1958) p.89;
Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1973-76 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lxvii (1977) p.133;
Britannia ix (1978) p.418;
Air Reconnaissance in Roman Britain 1977-1984 by G.S. Maxwell & D.R. Wilson in Britannia xviii (1987) pp.30-32, p.40 & fig.9;
Britannia xxiii (1992) p.266;
Britannia xxvi (1995) p.337, fig.6 p.338 & fig.7 p.339.