Type: Minor Settlement
|Stane Street: W (6) to Bravghing
Stane Street: E (9) to Great Dvnmow (Essex)
River Stort Upstream: SW (6) to Harlow
River Stort Upstream: SW (6) to Old Harlow
The settlement lies to the east of where Stane Street probably crossed the River Stort.
During the 1950's, rebuilding following the war uncovered remains of Romano-British houses having gravel floors and timber-slots, with associated [livestock] ditches and [storage] pits. Large quantities of pottery recovered ranged from the mid-first to fourth centuries.
Notable finds include a bronze steelyard and a gypsum burial in a limestone coffin found at the extreme eastern end of the settlement near Stane Street. Cremations have also been recorded c.250 metres north of the gypsum burial.
Extensive signs of iron-working have also been found on the site.