NGRef: NS4169
OSMap: LR64
Type: Fort

Roads
Possible Road: ESE (22) to Bothwellhavgh (Strathclyde)

The fort at Whitemoss Farm, Bishopton, lies on the south shore of the Clyde Estuary about 3 miles to the west of the fort at Old Kilpatrick at the western end of the Antonine Wall on the opposite bank of the Clyde. An earlier Agricolan fort lies only 1¾ miles to the south at Barochan (NS4172), on a low hill overlooking the Clyde Estuary.

Decorated ware recovered from the Bishopton fort included the stamps of the Antonine potters Cinnamus Form 37 and Velox Form 31; its Antonine date is thus certain.

See: Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1955-7 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlviii (1958) p.90;
The Roman Occupations of Scotland by B.R. Hartley in Britannia iii (1972) pp.1-55.