NGRef: NY4451
OSMap: LR85
Type: Camp

Roads
None identified
N.G.REF DIMENSIONS AREA DESCRIPTION
NY441517 c.213 x 279 ft
(c.65 x 85 m)
1ΒΌ acres
(1.2 ha)
This small, roughly rectangular camp lies in fields due E from J.42 of the M6 Motorway, S of the B6263 about 3 miles (5km) SE of Luguvalium (Carlisle), just north-east of the fort at Wreay. There are four gates, probably all originally guarded by external tituli although the gateway defences of the W are obscured by a modern field boundary. The W & E gates are off-set to the S; the camp therefore faced SSE. (JRS 1951 p.54; RCHME.)
See: Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) pp.52-65;
Roman Camps in England - The Field Archaeology by the R.C.H.M.E. (H.M.S.O, London, 1995);