NGRef: NY6721
OSMap: LR91
Type: Fortlet, Signal-station

Roads
NW (7) to Bravoniacvm (Kirkby Thore, Cumbria)
SE (5) to Verteris (Brough-under-Stainmore, Cumbria)

This suspected Roman site, consisting of a possible signal-station and a small fort, lies on the line of the Roman road (Margary #82) through the upper Eden Valley in Westmorland (Cumbria), about 1 mile north-north-west of Appleby in Westmorland. The signal-station appears as one of the 'Gask Ridge' type, with a square platform supporting a signal-tower surrounded by a circular defensive ditch. Other suspect stations in the same scheme lie along the route at Appleby in Westmorland about 2 miles to the south-east, and further on at North Stainmore. At least one more is postulated between the Castrigg station and the fort at Kirkby Thore. Here at Castrigg, however, the signal-station was apparently succeeded by a small fort or fortlet measuring about 200 feet (c.61 m) square, enclosing an area of just under 1 acre (c.0.37 ha) within a broad ditch. (JRS 1951 p.53)

See: Roman Roads in Britain : Volume II North of the Foss Way - Bristol Channel by Ivan D. Margary (London 1957);
Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) pp.52-65;