NGRef: NS9520
OSMap: LR72
Type: Camp

Roads
None identified
N.G.REF DIMENSIONS AREA DESCRIPTION
Crawford Camp A
NS957205 550+ x 300+ ft
(168+ x 91+ m)
>3¾ acres
(>1.5 ha)
Discovered on A.P.'s taken during the period 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph and subsequently reported by him in the Journal of Roman Studies, this camp is known from its southern corner-angle and attached, a 550 ft. length of the south-west side and almost 300 ft. of the south-east side.
Crawford Camp B
NS957205 700+ x 525+ ft
(213+ x 160+ m)
>8½ acres
(>3.4 ha)
Discovered by Prof. St Joseph at the same time as Camp A, this camp lies immediately east of Crawford village and has its entire perimeter, although faint, recorded of aerial photographs taken in 1977 and 1984. Its long axis is aligned NW-SE, roughly parallel to the Roman road. A smaller camp (C) lies within its northern angle.
Crawford Camp C
NS958205 c.260 x 260 ft
(c.80 x 80 m)
c.1½ acres
(c.0.6 ha)
This small square camp lies wholly within the northern corner-angle of Camp B.
See: Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.122;
Air Reconnaissance in Roman Britain 1977-1984 by G.S. Maxwell & D.R. Wilson in Britannia xviii (1987) p.40.