NGRef: SH735378
OSMap: LR124
Type: Practice Work, Industry

Roads
None identified

Identified in the early-1960's by G.D.B. Jones on photographs taken by the R.A.F., this group of five 'military practice works' lie on open moorland in the valley of the Afon Llafar about 1¾ miles (c.2.9 km) east-south-east of the Roman fort at Tomen-y-Mur. The camps are rectangular with rounded corners and gateways in two opposing sides. They vary in dimension between 82 x 75 feet (c.25 x 23 m) and 184 x 145 feet (c.56 x 44 m), in area between one-tenth and six-tenths of an acre (c.0.06 - 0.23 ha). As their modern classification implies, these constructs were produced by Roman soldiers during training exercises, very likely conducted from the nearby garrison fort.

See: Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.131;