Type: Building, Fort, Probable Settlement
|Possible road: NE (9) to Heronbridge
Prabable road: W (13) to Rvthin (Clwyd)
Possible road: E (8) to Holt (Clwyd)
WSW (18) to Penrhos
The first antiquarian reports of a Roman presence within the parish of Estyn (Welsh = "Hope") appeared in Camden's Britannia printed in 1586.
"Here, as Camden relates, about the year 1585, a gardener digging deeper than his wont came upon a hypocaust with brick pilae supporting a floor of opus signinum, flue tiles, and other appropriate fittings, and the bricks and tiles bore the stamp of LEGIO XX." (Haverfield, p.24)
Camden did not give the exact location of these finds, neither did Robert Davies of Llanerch when he reported a "brick tunnel of a hypocaust found near Estyn in Flints." during 1708/9. More finds were discovered during levelling operations on Offa's Dyke near Ffridd in 1828, 1870 and 1874, including Roman foundations, parts of a hypocaust, a defaced Roman altarstone, metalworking slag, pieces of lead, fibulae, samian-ware and other pottery sherds. Coins were also reported from various sources, including those of Nero, Vespasian, Domitian, Nerva, Trajan, Postumus and Verus.