NGRef: NO4058
OSMap: LR54
Type: Camp, Fortlet
 alt=

The Inverquharity Site
viewed from Wellbank to the north
Roads
Probable Military Road: WSW (11) to Cardean (Tayside)
Probable Military Road: ENE (14) to Stracathro (Tayside)

The Small Fort or Fortlet

First reported by Sibbald in 1707, this small fort was observed from the air in 1983 on the edge of Strathmore by the confluence of the South Esk and the Prosen Water, ideally situated to observe the approaches along Glen Clova and Glen Prosen. It measures only 230 ft. from NW to SE by 213 ft. (70 x 65 m) over the rampart. There are two V-shaped ditches spaced 16 ft. (4.9 m) apart, enclosing an area of just over 1 acre (c.0.45 ha). There is a single gateway in the centre of the south-west side. Although no dating evidence has been forthcoming from the limited investigation so far undertaken, the general concensus is that the fort is a Flavian foundation.

The Temporary Marching Camp

N.G.REF DIMENSIONS AREA DESCRIPTION
NO406580 c.530 x 475 ft
(c.162 x 145 m)
c.5¾ acres
(c.2.3 ha)
This camp was discovered from the air in 1984 and investigated on the ground the same year. The ditch on the east was found to be 4 ft. wide and 3 ft. deep (1.2 x 0.9 m), cut into a subsoil of loose gravel, apparently backfilled after a short period of use. The camp has three Stracathro-type gateways, one in the middle of each of its surviving sides, its north side having been destroyed by erosion.
See: Britannia xv (1984) p.274;
Britannia xvi (1985) p.263;
Air Reconnaissance in Roman Britain 1977-1984 by G.S. Maxwell & D.R. Wilson in Britannia xviii (1987) pp.15/16;
Britannia xxxiv (2003) pp.301/2.

Click here for a map of Inverquharity from StreetMap.co.uk