NGRef: NJ7816
OSMap: LR38
Type: Camp

Roads
None identified
N.G.REF DIMENSIONS AREA
Deer's Den, Kintore Camp 1
NJ787158 c.2,400 x c.2,000 ft
(c.732 x c.610 m)
c.110 acres
(c.44.5 ha)
The Kintore camp was identified in 1867/8 by Captain E.H. Courtney, at which time the rampart measured about 18 ft. across and in places stood 6 or 8 ft. high. The camp is known from two opposing corner-angles with attached lengths of the adjacent sides. The NE angle subtends about 93°, to which is attached 1,000 ft. of the E side and 1,650 ft. of the N side. The Opposing SW corner-angle is likewise, slightly obtuse, subtending 94°, with about 800 ft. of the attached S side and about 1,600 ft of the W. The camp measures about 2,000 ft. E-W, by about ¼ mile N-S. The ditch varies both in overall dimensions and in form; U-shaped and only around 8¾ ft wide by 2½ ft deep (c.2.7 x 0.75 m) at the NE angle but around 10½ ft wide by 4½ ft deep (3.2 x 1.4 m), and with a V-profile elsewhere. It is similar in size to others at Raedykes, Normandykes, Ythan Wells and Muiryfold.
Kintore Camp 2
NJ784175 1,000+ x 1,300? ft
(c.300 x 400? m)
c.30 acres?
(c.12 ha?)
This camp, discovered from the air in 1976 and investigated on the ground the same year, lies only ¾-mile north of the larger Camp #1. The ditch is V-shaped, 4 ft. wide and a maximum of 2½ ft. deep (1.2 x 0.76 m). The lie of the ground in the locality limits the area available for occupation to around 30 acres.
See: Topography of Roman Scotland North of the Antonine Wall by O.G.S. Crawford (Cambridge 1949) pp.112-5 & fig.30;
Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.65;
Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1973-76 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lxvii (1977) p.140;
Britannia ix (1978) p.277;
D.E.S. 1984 p.12;
Britannia xix (1988) p.425;
Britannia xxviii (1997) p.405;
Britannia xxix (1998) p.376;
D.E.S. 2000 p.10;
Britannia xxxiii (2002) p.285;
Britannia xxxiv (2003) p.301.