NGRef: NY4839
OSMap: LR90
Type: Camp

Roads
None identified
N.G.REF DIMENSIONS AREA DESCRIPTION
NY488393 367 x 466 ft
(112 x 142 m)
4 acres
(1.6 ha)
This rectangular camp lies some ½mile (850m) NNW of the Old Penrith fort, beyond the Galley Gill camp. It is aligned ESE-WSW and has 4 gateways protected by external tituli placed centrally in each side. (JRS 1951 p.54; RCHME.)
See: Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) pp.52-65;
Roman Camps in England - The Field Archaeology by the R.C.H.M.E. (H.M.S.O, London, 1995);