NGRef: NO2237
OSMap: LR53
Type: Camp


The Lintrose Marching Camp
(adapted from Crawford, fig.21)
Roads
None identified

"Very little is now to be seen on the ground of the temporary camp at Lintrose (NO 222376), first planned by Roy. Air photographs show part of the north and east sides, which had disappeared even in Roy's day. A slight change in direction of the ditch occurs about the mid-point of the north side, as if at a gate." (St. Joseph, 1956)
N.G.REF DIMENSIONS AREA
NO2237 1,900 x 1,220 ft
(580 x 372 m)
c.53ΒΌ acres
(c.21.5 ha)
Discovered by Capt. Robert Melville on 11th August 1754. The camp is almost rectangular, its S side measuring about 1,840 ft., the N about 1,850 the N-S measurement a fairly consistent 1,200 ft. The W and E defences each bow slightly outwards at the gateways, the W portal being protected by a titulum outwork, the visible gap in the south part of the E defences appears to be modern. The NE corner-angle is missing, but its position may be inferred. Gaps in the N and S defences cannot be positively identified as gateways. The best preserved parts of the defences were found by Crawford in the 1930's to consist of a rampart bank 20 ft. wide fronted by a ditch 9 ft. wide, the maximum height of the rampart above the ditch was around 5 ft. A.P.'s by J.K. St. Joseph in the early 1950's revealed parts of the N and E sides which are invisible from the ground, also indications of a gateway in the centre of the N side. It would appear that the camp is aligned along the valley of the Tay slightly to WNW.
See: Topography of Roman Scotland North of the Antonine Wall by O.G.S. Crawford (Cambridge 1949) pp.84-6 & figs.21/2;
Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1951-5 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlv (1956) p.87.