|ENE (6) to Cavldcoats
Probable Road: ENE (22) to Castledykes
Excavations have revealed that the small fort at Loudoun Hill went through as many as four phases of occupation during the first century. Occupation continued until the turn of the second century after which all Scottish forts were abandoned and the Roman army pulled-back to the line of the Stanegate in Northern England. The suspected road east passes very close to the temporary marching camp at Cauldcoats (NS6941), about 6 miles distant.
The entire defensive system covers an area of about 3½ acres (1.4 ha). Aerial photographs taken in 1953 showed that a double-ditched annexe attached to south-east side of the fort measured about 400 x 200 ft. within the ramparts, giving an extra occupation area of just over 1¾ acres (0.74 ha). The fort and annexe has now been lost to extensive gravel-quarrying.
The pottery sherds recovered from the site included pieces stamped by four South-Gaulish potters. There are single examples of Cosirus Form 27, Iucundus Form 18, Peregrinus Form 18, and another Form 27 piece marked OF.S[..., which cannot be positively identified. South Gaulish decorated ware was recovered but the presence of Flavian-Trajanic material is uncertain.