Although there is no structural evidence of any Bronze or Iron-Age dwellings at Park Street, pottery typical of
these periods has been recovered from the site. These finds may be attributed to pastoral settlement of the site under
temporary tented structures which left no physical traces, or possibly due to their being transported here from a
nearby undiscovered site.
Occupation Phases at the Park Street Site
Folding iron razor found at Park Street
From Britain in the Roman Empire
by Joan Liversidge (fig.48 p.133).
- The first evidence of permanent structures appears around the turn of the first century AD, when the
site was occupied by a 'round-house' typical of the late Iron-age.
- The round house was replaced after a very short period by a rectangular structure of timber and daub with a floor
of compacted chalk, measuring 26 x 11 feet (c.8 x 3.4 metres). This building has been identified as a Belgic
farmstead of the Catuvellauni tribe. Associated with this dwelling was a
pit containing, among other things, a set of iron manacles, implying that slaves were kept here by Catuvellaunian
farmers during the immediate pre-Roman period.
- The next occupation occurred during early-Roman times, the single phase-II building was replaced by two other
rectangular timber structures, one whose roof was supported upon two parallel rows of wooden posts in a so-called
'basilican plan'. The other hut, although contemporary, was of unknown form and extent. It seems likely that the
buildings of this phase were abandoned and perhaps destroyed in the Boudican revolt during Winter 60/61AD; being built
of timber, wattle-and-daub, and sporting a thatched roof, it is not surprising that the building was burned down.
- By 65AD these site was occupied by a single rectangular building with stone footings, aligned precisely
north-south. This has been identified as a 'cottage villa', a simple rectangular building of Roman design without
corridors or wings, where additional rooms were created by subdivision of the interior (see diagram above). This
building consisted of five rooms and incorporated an underground store-room or cellar at the north end, accessible from
the outside. It is possible, given the fact that this early Romano-British villa was built on the same site as a series
of native dwellings, that it was occupied by the Romanised descendents of the original Belgic inhabitants.
- The middle of the 2nd century saw a period of secondary R-B construction at the Park Street site. This entailed an
expansion of the existing building, increasing its width by the addition of an extra corridor on its western side,
leading to additional extensions on the north and south, one of which contained a bath-suite. Examples of these
'corridor villas' were common in Britain from the beginning of the second century. It appears likely, however, that
both the northern and southern additions to the phase-IV building were continued for some distance towards the east,
creating a 'winged villa' or perhaps even a 'courtyard villa' with a further north-south aligned wing lying
undiscovered to the east of the original R-B building. During this second R-B period the largest room of the original
dwelling had an elaborate corn-drying hypocaust inserted into its floor and the cellar at the northern end was made
accessible from a stairwell enclosed within the new western corridor.
- A third period of R-B construction occurred sometime around 300AD, which comprised new internal subdivisions in
both the original 'cottage villa' building and the 'winged villa' additions of the second century. Another major
development of this period was the inclusion of another large corn-dryer in the centre of the west corridor.
- Further minor alterations occurred around 340AD.
"An early-4th century tile kiln was excavated at 67, Mayflower Road. The main flue was paved with hypocaust
pila tiles, many of which were stamped with the letter M. The kilns own output of wall and roof
tiles were marked with triple finger-made grooves, though flue tiles were plain." (Britannia, 1970)
The wood used to stoke the hypocaust at Park Street was primarily Oak and Hazel. Many of the main building timbers
and wooden stakes used at Park Street were of Oak. An iron scoop used perhaps to clean out the underfloor heating was
found during excavations. Other finds included stores of cereals, in particular, spelt, oats and barley, a folding iron
razor (pictured above, right), and other iron artifacts were identified as Romano-British window-latches.
Excavated in 1943-5 by Mrs. H.E. O'Neil. Report published in Archaeological Journal cii 1945
See: The Roman Villa by John Percival (B.C.A., London, 1981) fig.46;
Britannia i 1970 pp.289/90;
Britain in the Roman Empire by Joan Liversidge (London 1968);
Town and Country in Roman Britain by A.L.F. Rivet (London, 1958).