NGRef: SH4490
OSMap: LR114
Type: Copper Mine, Mine

Roads
None identified

Evidence of Roman Copper Mining in Anglesey

Two copper cakes were reported in 1871 from Aberffraw Parish and are now preserved in Mostyn Hall, one of which was stamped SOCIO ROMAE • NATSOL and weighed 42 lbs (19kg). Two others were recovered from the Parys Mine in Amlwych and now reside in the British Museum, one plain, the other stamped IVFS. Another three were recovered near the ancient copper-workings at Bryn-du in Llanbadrig, two of which bore the stamp IVL.S within a circular die.

See: An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Anglesey (R.C.A.H.M.W.M. 1937) Appendix IV, p.lxxxvii.