NGRef: SN8593
OSMap: LR135/136
Type: Fortlet, Station

Roads
Prabable Road: W (13) to Erglodd (Powys)
Margary 64: E (11) to Caersws (Caersws, Powys)

The Small Roman Fort at Pen-y-Crocbren

N.G.REF DIMENSIONS AREA
SN855935 c.82 x 73 ft
(c.25 x 22.25 m)
c.0.13 acres
(c.0.05 ha)

This site lies at a height of 1,580 feet (c.481 m) on a small rounded summit of the Central Welsh Plateau in Powys, about 7½ miles (c.12 km) west of Tefeglwys and about ½-mile (c.0.8 km) south-west of Dylife. An enclosure measuring 82 feet by 73 feet (c.25 x 22.5 m) and covering an area of only 0.13 acre (c.0.05 ha), was defined by a turf rampart and a single ditch with a gateway 10 feet (c.3 m) wide in the centre of the north side, facing the road. This is most likely a Roman fortlet or signal-station set beside a main east-west route (Margary #64, now called Glyndwr's Way), similar to others in Wales at Hirfynnydd and Pant-teg Uchaf.

See: Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.129;
Roman Roads in Britain : Volume II North of the Foss Way - Bristol Channel by Ivan D. Margary (London 1957);