NGRef: SS 607 972
Type: Practice Work, Industry
Discovered from the air in 1957 and examined on the ground in 1960, these two camps lie close together at Pen-y-Waun on Mynydd Carn-goch ('Red Cairn Mountain'). The easternmost camp measures 99 feet by 97 feet over the rampart crests (c.30.2 x 29.6 m), enclosing an area of just under ¼-acre (c.0.09 ha); there is a single gateway with internal clavicula in the centre of the south side. The western camp is the smaller, measuring 87 feet (c.26.5 m) square and covering an area of 0.17 acres (c.0.07 ha), and is equipped with internal clavicula gateways in the centre of each side. There is another, similar work about 1 mile (1.62 km) to the west on Stafford Common.