NGRef: TA0589
OSMap: LR101
Type: Signal-station
 alt=

Castle Hill Roman Signal Station
From Collingwood (fig.13d, p.57).
Roads
Possible Military Road: NW (9) to Ravenscar (North Yorkshire)

"(d) In the later empire the signal-station undergoes the same architectural development as the castellum. It grows larger and stronger, more massive in construction and more defensible in character. The tower increases in size to 45 or 50 feet square ; its walls are now 8 feet thick at the base, stepped back by offsets to 5 feet ; its height must have increased proportionately to about 100 feet. The palisade round it is replaced by a stone wall enclosing a space about 100 feet square, with a bastion at each corner ; outside this is a ditch, separated from the wall by a wide berm according to the tactical ideas of the age. Examples of this pattern have been identified at various points on the yorkshire coast : at Huntcliffe, Goldsborough, Ravenscar, Scarborough, and Filey. One has been found on the Bristol Channel, on the Exmoor coast. These stations belong to the latter half of the fourth century." (Collingwood, pp.60/61)
See: The Archaeology of Roman Britain by R.G. Collingwood (London 1930).