Type: Temple Or Shrine
In 1782 a Roman altarstone was discovered on Staincross Common, 2 miles north of Barnsley on the north bank of the River Dearne. The stone, now lost, may represent the remains of a rural shrine. The nearest known Roman sites are the forts at Burghwallis and Castleford, which lie about 10 miles to east-north-east and to north-north-east respectively, also the fort and settlement at Templeborough which lies a similar distance to the south-south-east.
|DEO MARTI PRO SALVTE D D N N IMPP AVGG|
"To the god Mars¹ for the well-being of our lords the august emperors.²"
(RIB 622; altar)