NGRef: SX9295
OSMap: LR192
Type: Station

Roads
None identified

Discovered by observers in the Royal Air Force and confirmed on Aerial Photographs taken by J.K. St. Joseph in 1953, this small fort or fortlet overlooks the fortress at Exeter from high-ground about 1¾ miles to the north. The site consists of an enclosure 350 feet (c.107 m) square defined by a rampart and ditch and covering an area of about 2¾ acres (c. ha); centrally placed within this enclosure is a smaller one, measuring 100 ft. (c.30 m) square, defined by a single narrow ditch and covering a mere ¼-acre (c.0.1 ha). The site bears similarities to other stations on the north Devon coast at Countisbury and Martinhoe, and others on the eastern shores of the province at Hadleigh in Essex and Thornham in Norfolk, all of which formed parts of an integrated coastal defense system in 3rd century Roman Britain. (JRS 1953 p.97.)

See: Air Reconnaissance of Southern Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. XLIII (1953) pp.81-97;