NGRef: NN898181
OSMap: LR58
Type: Fort, Camp

Roads
SW (6.5) to Alavna-veniconvm
Gask Ridge: ENE (14) to Bertha
Possible Military Road: WNW (8) to Dalginross
Gask Ridge: E (8) to Dvpplin
SW (3.5) to Kaims Castle
E (1) to Parknevk (Tayside)
ENE (11) to Peel (Tayside)
SW (4.5) to Shiehill
SW (4.5) to Shielhill

At least two first-century phases have been recognised during excavations conducted in part of the Strageath fort. It is possible that the first phase of occupation is attributed to the third campaign season of Gnaeus Julius Agricola and was therefore built sometime during the summer of 80AD. The fort, which covered an area of 4½ acres (1.8 ha), was temporarily abandoned when the Glen forts were occupied c.85AD, only to be rebuilt and reoccupied after this outer line of forts was abandoned after only a short period, following the withdrawal of the Twentieth Legion from their unfinished fortress at Inchtuthil.

The second occupation phase at Strageath may reasonably be assigned to the so-called Gask Ridge Frontier Zone which was established c.86/87AD. At least one Bronze as in mint condition dated to 86AD has been found at the site, which proves occupation at this time or shortly thereafter, as these coins became worn out after only a short period in circulation. The Strageath fort was certainly abandoned by 90AD when all camps north of the Forth-Clyde were decommissioned. It is possible that detachments from more than one regiment were housed at the Strageath fort during its second incarnation in the Antonine period.

The first piece of dateable material, a second-century mortarium rim, was uncovered within the interior of the fort in 1970. The complicated defences of this fort would suggest occupation over some considerable time.

Roman Temporary Marching Camps in the Area

There is a temporary camp at Strageath (NN8918), another nearby at Dornock (NN8719) and two more at Innerpeffray (NN9118).

First reported by Gordon in his Itinerary for September 1726, described from the air by Professor J.K. St. Joseph in 1951, excavations at the fort were conducted by Prof. S.S. Frere between 1973 and 1981, by Prof. J.J. Wilkes from 1982 to 1986 (with contibutions from Prof. Frere in 1983); Dr. L. Pitts provided the plans.

See: Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.???;
Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1955-7 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlviii (1958) p.90;
Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1961-1964 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lv (1965) p.???;
Britannia ii (1971) p.248;
Britannia v (1974) pp.404/5;
Britannia vi (1975) p.225;
Britannia vii (1976) p.300;
Air Reconnaissance of Roman Scotland 1939-75 by J.K. St. Joseph in G.A.J. iv (1976);
Britannia viii (1977) p.361;
Britannia ix (1978) p.410;
Britannia x (1979) p.274;
Britannia xi (1980) p.351;
Britannia xii (1981) p.319;
Britannia xiii (1982) p.336;
Britannia xiv (1983) p.284/5;
Britannia xv (1984) p.274;
Britannia xvi (1985) pp.263/4;
Britannia xvii (1986) p.371;
Britannia xviii (1987) p.309;
Britannia xxiv (1993) p.278.

Click here for a map of Strageath and surrounding area from StreetMap.co.uk