NGRef: NT0901
OSMap: LR78
Type: Camp

Roads
S (8) to Hangingshaw (Dumfries & Galloway)
NW (12) to Little Clyde
NNW (10) to Redshaw Bvrn
N.G.REF DIMENSIONS AREA DESCRIPTION
Tassiesholm Camp 1
NT0901 c.550 x 425 ft
(c.168 x 130 m)
c.5½ acres
(c.2.2 ha)
This camp lies about 500 feet S of the Antonine fortlet. Its entire W side, 425 ft. long, and lengths of the N and S defences including attached W corner-angles were identified on aerial photographs taken in the late-1940's. Crop-mark evidence of the E side, 425 ft. long, was obtained from A.P.'s taken in the early-1950's. Each visible side is possessed of a gateway with titulus outwork. The E-W dimension of the camp is around 550 ft.

Aside from the nearby fort at Milton, there are more camps about ¾ mile to the north, situated on the east side of the road at Beattock.

See: Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.58;
Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1951-5 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlv (1955) p.85.