Type: Camp, Fortlet
|NE (35) to Elginhavgh (Lothian)
S (4) to Crawford (Strathclyde)
The defences of this fortlet were discovered from the air by J.K. St. Joseph in 1960. The fortlet was almost square in outline, measuring 77 x 65 feet (c.24.3 x 19.8 m) and covered an area of only 5,000 ft² or 19 roods (c.481m²). The fortlet is only one of a series set along the same stretch of military road and exemplified by others at Milton and at Redshaw Burn.
|NS944265||c.1,380 x 1,150 ft
(c.420 x 350 m)
|Identified from the air by Prof. J.K. St Joseph in the late 1950's, when the south-east corner-angle and attached lengths of the adjacent sides were identified. The eastern defences were sectioned in 1970, these revealed a gravel rampart over 7¼ ft. wide and still standing 1½ ft. high (2.25 x 0.45 m) fronted by a V-shaped ditch about 11 ft. wide and 5 ft. deep (3.35 x 1.5 m). Further aerial observation in 1984 revealed that the camp totally enclosed the Antonine fortlet and was overlain by the Roman road, which places its construction prior to both these features, probably during the Flavian period. Parts of the east and south sides of this camp are still visible on the ground.|