NGRef: SJ4664
OSMap: LR117
Type: Camp

Roads
None identified
N.G.REF DIMENSIONS AREA DESCRIPTION
SJ451639 c.426 x 246 ft
(c.130 x 75 m)
c.2½ acres
(c.0.97 ha)
Discovered from the air on 23rd June 1994, this camp lies in fields just W of Waverton, about ½mile SE of the site of the Battle of Rowton Moor, fought during the English Civil War in 1645. The entire SW side of this camp is recorded, together with a short length of the SE side and the entire NW side with traces of the N corner-angle. Given the three angles, the original dimensions of the camp may be estimated. There is a gateway set centrally in the SW side which bears traces of an internal clavicula.
See: New Evidence from Aerial Reconnaissance for Roman Military Sites in Cheshire
by Robert A Philpott in Britannia xxix (1998) pp.341-353.