NGRef: NO0220
OSMap: LR52/53/58
Type: Watch-tower

Roads
WSW (0.5) to Thorny Hill (Tayside)
WSW (0.5) to Moss Side (Tayside)
ENE (2) to Peel (Tayside)

This watch-tower was seen on aerial photographs taken by Prof. J.K. St. Joseph in 1960-62, as a circular crop-mark in fields on the farm of Westmuir. The site, along with others spaced almost uniformly along the Roman military road into the north-east formed an early Roman frontier along the Gask Ridge in Tayside.

See: Topography of Roman Scotland North of the Antonine Wall by O.G.S. Crawford (Cambridge 1949);
Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1961-1964 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lv (1965) p.???.